Will I be charged for return shipping fees?

753 Published on April 3, 2023

Starting on April 11, shipping fees for buyer-initiated returns due to seller fault will be charged to the seller.

Through the Direct Return to Merchant (DRTM) policy, the seller may discuss product returns with the buyer and reach a mutual resolution. One of the options the seller may give is to return the item to process a refund. In the past, Lazada shouldered the shipping fee, regardless of the return reason. Starting April 11, 2023, the shipping fee for buyer-initiated returns will be charged to the seller if certain conditions are met.

On this page:

I. Will I be charged for return shipping fees?

II. What are seller-fault reasons?

III. What is the return shipping fee for?

IV. Do return shipping fees apply to Failed Deliveries that are returned to the seller?

V. Will I know if a return will incur a return shipping charge?

VI. Are sellers expected to refund the buyer?

VII. How much does the return shipping fee cost?

VIII. How much time do I have to respond to a return request?

IX. If the original order has 2 items but only 1 item needs to be returned, how will the return shipping fee be calculated?

X. Why is the return shipping fee being charged to the seller? Is this a new charge?

XI. What if the return is eventually determined not to be seller-fault?

XII. Can I dispute the return shipping charge?

XIII. Will any of my fees be reversed?

I. Will I be charged for return shipping fees?

Return shipping fees for buyer-initiated returns will be charged to the seller if all of the following conditions are met:

• The item has been successfully delivered to the buyer;

• The return reason is determined to be due to seller fault;

• The buyer was requested to return the item; and

• The item was successfully returned to the seller.

Shipping fee charges will not be charged under the following conditions:

• Parcel was tagged as a failed delivery; or

• The seller chooses to refund the buyer without asking for a return.

II. What are seller-fault reasons?

The following return reasons are considered seller fault reasons:

• Damaged/faulty item

• Item does not match description/pictures

• Counterfeit item

• Expired

• Received wrong item

III. What is the return shipping fee for?

The return shipping fee covers the cost of shipping the return item from the Buyer to the Seller. This charge is incurred only if the buyer is asked to Return and if the buyer proceeded to Return (through either drop-off or pick-up options).

IV. Do return shipping fees apply to Failed Deliveries that are returned to the seller?

Sellers will not incur return shipping fee charges for failed deliveries. Return shipping fees only apply to buyer returns (meaning the item had previously been successfully delivered).

The return shipping fee covers the cost of shipping the return item from the Buyer to the Seller. This charge is incurred only if the buyer is asked to Return and if the buyer proceeded to Return (through either drop-off or pick-up options).

V. Will I know if a return will incur a return shipping charge?

Yes, you will be notified if requesting a return will incur shipping charges.

VI. Are sellers expected to refund the buyer?

Sellers make the decision based on the information in the return form and any additional information that is gathered from the buyer.

We encourage sellers to decide to refund the buyer if:

• Evidence suggests clear error on the part of the seller

• Item is low priced and not worth incurring return shipping fee (on top of cost of paid shipping fee)

• Item cannot be restocked/resold

A reasonable decision to refund is something that buyers appreciate and can encourage repurchase and retention.

VII. How much does the return shipping fee cost?

The return shipping fee will be calculated similar to the way the buyer shipping fee is calculated. This will be based on the origin (buyer location), destination (seller return warehouse location), and weight/dimweight of the item. The return shipping fee will be similar to the forward shipping displayed in the order details page on Seller Center, but may also include relevant adjustments when applicable. Actual computed details will be shown on your SOA.

VIII. How much time do I have to respond to a return request?

Sellers have 2 calendar days to provide the initial decision to refund, request for return, reject, or forward to agent. If a seller fails to respond within the stipulated timeline, the platform will make the decision on behalf of the seller. If the platform's decision is to return and the item is returned, the seller will incur a return shipping fee.

IX. If the original order has 2 items but only 1 item needs to be returned, how will the return shipping fee be calculated?

The return shipping fee will be calculated based on the origin, destination, and weight/dimweight of the item/s, similar to how the buyer shipping fee is calculated. If the original parcel's shipping fee was at the minimum price of Php40, it is likely that the return shipping fee will also be at Php40 even if the parcel will only contain 1 item.

X. Why is the return shipping fee being charged to the seller? Is this a new charge?

In the case of a seller-fault return, the buyer will be refunded the total paid amount, including the shipping fee the buyer paid. This is because despite the successful delivery, the buyer did not realize any value from the purchase because the item had to be returned. Note that this is not a new charge, as paid shipping fee has always been charged to the seller for seller-fault return reasons.

XI. What if the return is eventually determined not to be seller-fault?

If a return is eventually found to be due to buyer or logistics fault through the evaluation and re-evaluation (dispute) process, the return shipping will not be charged to the seller (or will be reversed if initially charged).

XII. Can I dispute the return shipping charge?

The buyer return process has a mechanism for buyer and seller to arrive at a final decision. This includes a re-evaluation/dispute process to arrive at a final decision. The return shipping charge will be applicable if the final outcome is determined to be seller fault.

Should there still be a need to file the claim, this can be filed here.

XIII. Will any of my fees be reversed?

After a buyer return, any Marketplace and LazMall commission and payment fees will be reversed. However, participation fees under Lazada Programs (Free Shipping Max, Cashback, etc.) will not be reversed.

Is this article helpful ?
Lazada University Logo
ADA is available at 24 hours. Live Chat Services are available from Monday - Saturday: 09:00AM - 06:00PM.